I adore this chicken dish – it’s so simple and low maintenance. I always make more than I need because it’s really good as a snack the day after!
- Mixed chicken thighs and drumsticks – about 6-8 in total for 3-4 portions
- 6 Tblspoons spiced rum
- 6 Tblspoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp each of cayenne pepper and dried chilli
- 1 tsp each of ground nutmeg, garlic powder, dried oregano
- 2 tsp paprika
- Tblspoon honey (I used sugar in this batch as I was low on honey, use whichever you prefer)
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 190C
Use a sharp knife to score some slashes in the chicken to let all the lovely flavour work it’s way in, and lay them out in an oven dish – preferably one just the right size for the chicken to fit snugly together.
Mix all the other ingredients together, and pour over the chicken, making sure it’s drizzled over all the surface area of the chicken. There should be plenty liquid filling up the dish.
Stick in the oven for about 40 mins, until the chicken is cooked through. Serve with whatever – I like it with corn on the cob, rice and salsa. Make sure you drizzle some of that lovely liquid over your rice!
Now, you can do the chicken in a pan first to get the skin all crispy if you’d like, and you can really chop and change the seasoning depending on your preferences. Whatever you do though, always keep the rum and vinegar! They give it this glorious tangy flavour quite unlike anything else.